There's nothing better than wearing cozy pjs, cuddling up on the couch and watching a movie while eating a nice warm bowl of chili. Chili reminds me of winter and the Super Bowl and is a perfect meal to make for a crowd of people. Today, I'm sharing with you mine and my sisters recipe for our Lean Turkey Chili.
Start off by heating up a skillet at medium heat. Drizzle with one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, then add one cup of diced white onions, three minced garlic cloves, half a cup of diced red bell peppers and two cups of chopped baby spinach. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Next, add in one pound of extra lean ground turkey. Cook until the turkey has browned. You'll then transfer the mixture into a large pot and still on medium heat, add in a 28oz can of diced tomatoes, one and a half cups of kidney bean, one and a half cups of chickpeas, two teaspoons of chili powder, half a teaspoon of dried oregano, a quarter teaspoon of paprika, a dash of cayenne pepper, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Lean Turkey Chili
Makes 7 servings (1 cup per serving)
1 cup White onion, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup Red bell pepper, diced
2 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 pound Extra lean ground turkey
28 oz can of Diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup Kidney beans
1 1/2 cup Chickpeas
2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Dried oregano
1/4 tsp Paprika
Dash of cayenne pepper
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- On medium heat, heat up a skillet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, red pepper and baby spinach. Cook for 5-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add extra lean ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Transfer mixture into a large pot, still on medium heat, and add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chickpeas, chili powder, dried oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt and ground pepper.
- Let simmer, covered, on medium heat for 25-30 minutes and serve.
Makes 7 servings (1 cup per serving). Each serving is approximately 205 calories.