This is our third mac and cheese recipe and the lowest calorie alternative that we have come up with to date. As you can tell, we love experimenting in the kitchen and trying to come up with new variations of the classic dish.
Start by cooking two cups of rice pasta according to the directions on the package and set aside.
While pasta is cooking, bring a few cups of water and one and a half cups of cauliflower florets to a boil. Boil for 8-10 minutes until soft. Strain and add to a blender with two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, a half teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, an eighth teaspoon of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of dijon mustard, a dash of both paprika and nutmeg and sea salt to taste. Blend until smooth.
In a large bowl, mix together cooked pasta, cheese sauce, two cups of chopped baby spinach and a quarter cup of chopped sun dried tomatoes. Mix until evenly coated and transfer to a baking dish.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350oF. Remove from oven and serve!
Vegan Cauliflower Mac & Cheese with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Spinach
Makes 2 servings
2 cups Rice pasta
1 1/2 cups Cauliflower florets
2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Dash of paprika & nutmeg
Sea salt to taste
2 cups Baby spinach, chopped
1/4 cup Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Cook pasta according to directions on package and set aside.
- Boil cauliflower florets for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Strain and add to a blender. Add in nutritional yeast, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, nutmeg and sea salt to taste. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add pasta, cheese sauce, spinach and sun dried tomatoes. Mix until evenly coated.
- Transfer pasta to a baking dish and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
Makes 2 servings. Each serving is approximately 255 calories.