We were experimenting with raw sunflower seeds and discovered that when ground up, they resemble breadcrumbs. So, we decided to make this Sunflower & Parmesan Crusted Chicken topped with our Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce.
Place mixture in a Ziplock bag and add four small boneless chicken breasts. Shake bag until chicken breasts are evenly coated.
Transfer chicken breasts to a skillet heated with half a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Cook on medium heat for three minutes per side.
Remove from pan and transfer to a baking sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes at 350° F or until chicken is fully cooked thru. Broil for an additional two minutes and remove chicken from oven.
Top each chicken breast with a quarter cup of Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce and serve.
Sunflower & Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce
Makes 4 servings
4 Small boneless chicken breasts
2 tbsp Raw unsalted sunflower seeds
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Dry basil
1/2 tsp Dry oregano
1/4 tsp Freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind sunflower seeds until flour-like consistency.
- In a bowl, combine ground sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil, oregano, pepper and sea salt.
- Place parmesan mixture in a Ziplock bag, add chicken breasts and shake until evenly coated.
- On medium heat, heat up olive oil in a skillet and fry chicken breasts, 3 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Broil chicken for 2 minutes and remove from oven.
- Top with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings. Each servings is approximately 235 calories.