Today was one of those days where pizza was constantly on my mind! After my 5:30 class, all I wanted was to get home and make a delicious pizza. Now, that would’ve been fantastic if we didn’t already have leftover cooked couscous. I always find it difficult cooking something new knowing that I have leftovers sitting in the fridge, waiting to be used up. Since I was in desperate need of a pizza (only a slight exaggeration), I decided to attempt making a pizza crust with the couscous that I had. I was expecting the dough to turn out like my quinoa flax crackers however, since couscous is much less dense and fluffier; the dough was more like a humus consistency. Nevertheless, I pushed forward and the pizza turned out amazing!
In a blender, blend together one cup of whole wheat couscous and two tablespoons of egg whites until the mixture is smooth, humus-like in consistency.
Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. Using a spatula, transfer ‘dough’ onto the parchment paper and form into a thin circle.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 400oF.
Remove the crust from the oven and evenly spread two teaspoons of pesto over the pizza. Top with one small minced garlic clove, four tomato slices, an eighth cup of sliced red onion, half a tablespoon of kalamata olives and one tablespoon each of light feta and mozzarella cheese.
Return to the oven and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes, until the cheese had melted. Remove from the oven, cut and serve!
Personal Size Mediterranean Pizza with Couscous Crust
Makes 1 serving
1 cup Whole wheat couscous, cooked
2 tbsp Egg whites
2 tsp Pesto
1 Small garlic clove, minced
4 Tomato slices
1/8 cup Red onion, sliced
½ tbsp. Kalamata olives
1 tbsp Light feta cheese
1 tbsp Light mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Blend together couscous and egg whites until mixture is smooth.2. Blend together couscous and egg whites until mixture is smooth.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Using a spatula, transfer dough onto the parchment paper and form into a thin circle.
- Bake in the over for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread pesto evenly over the crust.
- Top with garlic, tomatoes, onions, olives and cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes until cheese has melted.
Makes 1 serving. Serving is approximately 325 calories.