It's a cold one out there today folks! Cold weather always makes me crave one thing: a warm and creamy soup. This Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup is dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan. The only ingredients are vegetables!
You'll start off by placing three cups of cauliflower florets in a pot of water and bringing to a boil. Boil for 7 to 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Strain and set aside.
Next, remove stems and gills from two portobello mushroom caps and dice. If you don't have any portobello caps on hand, you can use three cups of diced mushrooms of your choice.
In a skillet, heat up half a teaspoon of olive oil. Add in half of your diced mushrooms, half a cup of diced white onion and two minced garlic cloves. Cook on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until veggies are tender and slightly browned.
In a blender, combine boiled cauliflower and cooked veggies. Blend until smooth and transfer mixture to a pot. Add in two and a half cups of water, remainder of diced mushrooms, half a teaspoon of onion powder, half a teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until mushrooms are fully cooked. Remove from heat and serve.
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup
Makes 4 servings (1 cup of soup per serving)
3 cups Cauliflower florets
2 Portobello mushroom caps (or 3 cups diced mushroom of choice)
1/2 cup White onion, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups Water
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place cauliflower in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 7-10 minutes until cauliflower is tender. Strain and set aside.
- With a spoon, remove stems and gills from portobello mushroom caps. Dice up the mushrooms and set half aside.
- In a skillet, heat up olive oil, half of the diced portobello mushrooms, white onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender and slightly browned.
- In a blender, combine boiled cauliflower and cooked veggie mixture. Blend until smooth.
- In a pot, combine blended cauliflower and veggie mixture, water, remainder of diced mushrooms, onion powder, sea salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Makes 4 one cup servings. Each serving is approximately 45 calories.