My colleague brought me to the local farmer's market and my purchases have inspired me to cook up some fresh dishes. The weather is getting cold and it's time to start creating some new soup combos so here's a simple vegan potato and leek soup for you to try!
Start by peeling and dicing four medium-sized potatoes. Steam on the stove for approximately 10 minutes until soft.
While the potatoes are steaming, heat up a pan on medium to low heat. Add in a tablespoon of vegan butter and sauté a large diced leek and three to four minced garlic cloves. Add seas salt and freshly ground pepper as desired. Sauté until lightly browned.
Transfer potatoes, leeks and garlic to a blender or large bowl. Add three quarter cups to one cup of soy milk. Blend or pulse until smooth.
If you wish to have a chunky soup, reserve a quarter cup of the steamed potatoes and mix in the soup once blended.
Top with fresh chopped leeks and ground pepper!
Creamy Vegan Potato and Leak Soup
Makes 2 servings
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large leek, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp vegan butter
3/4 to 1 cup soy milk
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Steam diced potatoes for approximately 10 minutes until soft.
- Heat up a pan on medium to low heat. Add butter.
- Sauté onions and garlic until lightly browned. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer potatoes, leeks and garlic into a blender or large bowl. Add milk.
- Blend or pulse with a hand blender until smooth.
- Top with fresh ground pepper and chopped leek.
Note: Reserve 1/4 cup of steamed potatoes and add to the soup once blended for a chunky consistency.