I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving weekend. This year was our first vegan thanksgiving meaning no turkey and small modifications to classic family recipes. This was my first ever attempt at baking pumpkin pie and it was truly a success! I adapted Oh She Glows' vegan pumpkin squares in order to create this pie.
Start by processing vegan graham crackers in a food processor into you are left with two cups of crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl and add two tablespoons of maple syrup and a quarter cup of melted vegan butter.
Evenly press the mixture into a greased 8.5 inch springform pan until firm. Bake in the oven at 350oF for 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking, start your pumpkin mixture.
In a food processor, combine one and three quarter cups of pumpkin purée, one third cup of sugar, one quarter cup of maple syrup, one quarter cup of full fat canned coconut milk (use cream, not liquid portion), two tablespoons of non-dairy milk, two tablespoons of vanilla extract, two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice and a pinch of sea salt.
For the coconut milk, place the can in the fridge over night. Turn over the can and open the bottom. Remove the liquid and use the hard cream at the bottom of the can. Reserve the extra cream portion for the topping.
Once the crust is done cooking, pour the pumpkin filling over the crust and smooth with a spatula. Bake in the oven at 350oF for 40 to 45 minutes until the pie is firm but still sticky to the touch.
Remove from oven and let cool on the counter for an hour. Refrigerate over night.
I added a coconut cream drizzle on the torte for presentation purposes. I used the leftover chilled canned coconut milk (cream and liquid) and beat it for approximately 5 minutes until the cream was a fluffy consistency. I added a dash of vanilla and maple syrup to sweeten up the cream. I drizzled some of the cream onto the pie to add a special touch.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Makes 12 slices
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows
2 cups crushed graham crackers
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup melted vegan butter
1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk (use cream, not liquid portion)
2 tbsp non-dairy milk or water
2 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- Combined graham crackers, maple syrup and butter in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Press mixture into a springform pan that has been lightly greased. Press until crust is firm.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Combine all the filling ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until everything is smooth and combined.
- Once crust is removed from the oven, pour filling over top, smoothing it out with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch. The filling will still be sticky.
- Let cool for approximately 1 hour and refrigerate overnight.