This is a great recipe to try for either lunch or dinner and is sure to rival any panini that you would order at a restaurant!
Start by grilling the chicken if you don't already have some on hand. Place one chicken breast in a George Forman Grill and grill for approximately 10 minutes until the centre is cooked through. Let cool for a few minutes and slice. Set aside.
In a heated skillet coated with half a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, cook two cups of chopped spinach, a half cup of diced bell peppers, a quarter cup of diced white onion and one minced garlic clove until tender. Add sea salt and ground pepper to taste and set aside.
In a bowl, combine two tablespoons of light mayonnaise with two teaspoons of pesto. Mix well and set aside.
Take four pieces of bread and spray one side with cooking spray. Spread pesto mayo evenly on each slice, on the side that had not been sprayed.
Divide vegetable mixture in two and add on two of the four slices.
Add a third cup of the grilled chicken breast on top of both slices with the vegetable mixture.
Top with with an eight cup of cheese each and close both sandwiches.
Grill on the George Forman for a few minutes until bread is crispy and cheese has melted.
Grilled Chicken & Vegetable Panini with Pesto Mayo
Makes 2 servings
4 Bread slices
2/3 cups Grilled chicken, sliced
2 cups Spinach, chopped
1/2 cup Bell peppers, diced
1/4 cup White onion, chopped
1 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp Light mayonnaise
2 tsp Pesto
1/4 cup Light mozzarella cheese, grated
- If chicken is not already cooked, grill one chicken breast on a George Forman grill for approximately 10 minutes until centre is cooked through. Let cool for a few minutes and slice.
- In a heated skillet, coated with olive oil, cook spinach, peppers, onion and garlic until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto, mix well.
- Spray one side of every slice of bread with cooking spray.
- Spread pesto mayo evenly on every slice of bread, the side that has not been sprayed.
- Divide vegetable mixture in two and add on two slices.
- Add 1/3 cup of sliced chicken breast on top of both slices with the vegetable mixture.
- Top with cheese and close both sandwiches.
- Grill on a George Forman for a few minutes until bread is crispy and cheese has melted.
Makes 2 servings. Each serving is approximately 340 calories.