I had a few friends coming over for a chill girls night-in. I knew I wanted to make a dessert to munch on but didn't have much in the cupboards to work with. I searched the internet and found this simple cookie recipe from Love & Lemons. I decided to give it a try and fell in love! I've since made this recipe 3 times. My non vegan friends loved them and they are a great healthier alternative. The perfect combo of chewy and crunchy!
Start by combining one tablespoon of ground flaxseed and three tablespoons of warm water in a large bowl. Set aside for the mixture to "gel". If you are not vegan, you can substitute this step and use one egg.
Next, mix together one cup of spelt flour, a quarter teaspoon of baking soda and a quarter teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
To your flaxseed mixture, add a quarter cup of softened coconut oil (can substitute for butter if non-vegan), one teaspoon of vanilla extract and half a cup of sugar (I tried the recipe with both regular white sugar and coconut sugar. The cookies had more flavor with white sugar and had a lighter healthier taste with coconut sugar). Whisk until everything is well combined.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Once well incorporated, mix in a quarter cup of rolled oats, half a cup of dark chocolate chips and a quarter cup of chopped walnuts. Mix well. If mixture is not wet enough, add one to two tablespoons of non-dairy milk.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take a spoonful of batter and flatten on the sheet. Bake in the oven at 350F for 9-10 minutes until the sides of the cookies are browned. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and the cookies will firm-up.
Vegan Chocolate Chip & Walnut Cookies
Makes 12 cookies
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
3 tbsp warm water
1 cup spelt flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I've used regular sugar and coconut sugar. They have more flavor with regular sugar but also taste great with coconut sugar - just less flavorful)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cut rolled oats
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or semisweet)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1-2 tbsp non dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, mix together ground flaxseed and water. Combine well and set aside until it sets.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- To your flax mixture, add coconut oil, sugar and vanilla. Whisk together until well combined.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Add your chocolate chips, walnuts and rolled oats. If batter is dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk until proper consistency is reached.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoonful amount of dough and place on the baking sheet, press down to flatten. Makes approximately 12 cookies.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies are lightly browed on edges.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Cookies will firm up.