I was inspired by an Instagram picture posted by Leah Itsines to make my own chia seed jam. Seemed simple enough and a great healthy and vegan alternative to store bought jam. We've been trying to eat as natural as possible, and making our own sauces and jams is definitely a good addition!
Start by measuring out two and a half cups of berries. For my first batch, I used strawberries and diced them up into tiny pieces. This isn't necessary since you can use a hand blender to smooth out the berries once they finish cooking.
Place berries in a pot and bring to a boil, constantly stirring so the bottom does not burn. Reduce heat and continue stirring until the berries liquify and thicken. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on the type of berries you use. The strawberries took longer than the raspberries, but the thickness can vary and it really depends on your preference.
Once the berry mixture is at your desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in two tablespoons of pure maple syrup. This step is optional and you can skip it if you prefer not adding any additional sweetener.
Next, you can use a hand blender to blend the berry mixture until smooth. If you want a chunkier jam, you can omit this step.
Mix in two tablespoons of chia seeds into your berry mixture and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
Place your jam in a jar and enjoy! Keep refrigerated.
Chia Seed Jam
Makes 16 one tbsp servings
Recipe inspired by Leah Itsines
2 1/2 cups berries (I used strawberries and chopped them up, but you can use any berries)
2 tbsp pure maple syrup (optional)
2 tbsp chia seeds
- Add berries to a sauce pot and bring to a boil, constantly stirring so the bottom does not burn.
- Reduce heat and continue stirring until berries liquify and thicken (can take 5-10 minutes depending on the type of berries. The thickness can vary and really depends on preference).
- Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup.
- If you want a smoother jam, you can use a hand mixer to blend your berry mixture until smooth.
- Mix in chia seeds and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Place in a jar and enjoy. Keep refrigerated.