This next recipe is inspired by my favorite meal at a restaurant called Mary's in Vankleek Hill, ON. The combination of portobello mushroom, roasted vegetables, herb and garlic cream cheese and gouda is so amazing, I had to try and recreate the recipe!
I've been on a "let's cook new things for fall" kick so I'll hopefully be posting many new fall recipes in the weeks to come. I also apologize in advance for my rubbish camera quality. I'm stuck using my iPhone 4 for now.
To start, chop up half a cup each of red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, orange bell peppers, zucchini and red onion. You want to chop your veggies in medium sized chunks. Place your veggies in a bowl and add one minced garlic clove, one teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt & pepper to taste. Toss everything together until all veggies are lightly coated in oil and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the oven and bake at 425°F for 25 minutes.
In the meantime, take 4 portobello mushroom caps and pull out the stem. You can remove the guils if you'd like but I decided to keep them in for today. Next, spread two tablespoons of light herb and garlic cream cheese in each of the portobello mushroom caps.
Once the vegetables are finished roasting, evenly distribute veggies to the portobello mushroom caps. Once filled with the vegetables, top each mushroom cap with two tablespoons of smoked gouda cheese.
Place mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchement paper and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve! These mushrooms taste great with baked avocado fries (recipe will be up shortly).
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup red bell pepper, cut in medium sized chunks
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, cut in medium sized chunks
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, cut in medium sized chunks
1/2 cup red onion, cut in medium sized chunks
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 portobello mushroom caps
8 tbsps light herb and garlic cream cheese
1/2 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place peppers, red onions, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss until well coated and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchement paper. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Take portobello mushroom caps and remove stems.
- Fill each mushroom cap with 2 tbsp of herb and garlic cream cheese.
- Once veggies are finished roasting, evenly distribute to mushroom caps.
- Top each mushroom cap with 2 tbsp of shredded smoked gouda.
- Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet lines with parchement paper and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving is approximately 170 calories.