I was watching the Food Network on my day off and saw delicious, creamy scalloped potatoes on the screen. I also happened to be snacking on some beer cashew cheese. This gave me the inspiration to create this amazing recipe! It's creamy and full of flavour... no cheese needed!
Vegan Beer-Baked Scalloped Potatoes
Makes 2-3 servings
3-4 large peeled potatoes
2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 cup canned coconut milk
3/4 cup beer
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Thinly slice potatoes and place in a bowl with water to keep them from browning.
- Take a medium sized casserole dish and grease with vegan butter or cooking spray.
- Layer potato slices in the dish, overlapping the potatoes in a staggered style in order to allow the sauce to flow through the holes and evenly distribute.
- In a pot over low-medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Keep stirring until thick paste is formed and cook for a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, beer, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined and cook on low for 7-10 minutes until thick.
- Pour sauce over potatoes. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Broil for 5-7 minutes until tops are browned.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh parsley.