When the weather starts cooling down, I crave chili! We are still in our first year of veganism so this is our first time making vegan chili. This recipe is EPIC. It has so many delicious and filling ingredients making this the perfect fall meal!
Start by dicing two cups of white onions, two cups of red peppers and mincing two to three garlic cloves. Put a large pot on medium heat, drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil and add the diced vegetables. Sauté until lightly browned.
Next, add in two 790ml cans of diced tomatoes and one can of tomato paste. You'll then drain, rinse and add in a 540ml can each of kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans and lentils. Add in one minced jalapeño pepper (seeds removed), four tablespoons of chili pepper, one tablespoon of smoked paprika and sea salt to taste. Mix until well combined.
Let simmer on low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until flavors are well combined. Let cool and serve topped with avocado wedges and cilantro!
Epic Vegan Chili
Makes about 14-15 cups
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups white onion, diced
2 cups red bell pepper, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 790ml cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 540ml can kidney beans
1 540ml can chickpeas
1 540ml can black beans
1 540ml can lentils
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (seeds removed)
4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
sea salt to taste
- Place a large pot on medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add white onion, red bell peppers and garlic. Sauté until lightly browned.
- Next, add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, drained beans and drained lentils.
- Add jalapeño pepper, chili powder, paprika and salt. Mix well.
- Let simmer on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes until all flavors are combined.
- Let cool and serve with avocado and cilantro.