I spent the weekend at my boyfriend's mom's house and the scenery there is amazing! Trees, plants, koi fish pond... the list goes on! I felt inspired to create a few recipes and this was the first. Every time I go over, I always end up juicing. I decided to create a recipe using the leftover pulp. Using the carrot and apple pulp, I created this no bake carrot cake! It's delicious and makes for a perfect breakfast, dessert or snack.
In a bowl, start by combining one cup of ground oats, one and a half cups of carrot pulp (i had a combination of carrot and a little bit of apple), a quarter cup of hemp hearts, a quarter cup of golden flax (or ground flax seeds), one teaspoon of ground nutmeg, one teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt. Mix well until blend is uniform.
Next, add your dates. If your dates are not fresh, soak in water for a few hours prior. Process dates in a blender or a food processor until paste-like. Add to carrot mixture and mix well until blend is a paste-like consistency.
To make the cashew cream, soak 1 cup of raw cashews in water for 6-8 hours. Strain and add to a blender with a quarter to a third cup of water (depending on the quality of your blender), one teaspoon of vanilla extract, one teaspoon of maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Blend until smooth. This may take a few minutes and you may need to add a little more water to help the blending process.
To assemble your cakes, press carrot cake mixture into muffin tins or jars.
Top with cashew cream and enjoy!
No Bake Vegan Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream
Makes 4 servings
1 cup oat flour (ground up oats in a blender or food processor)
1 1/2 cups carrot pulp (mine had a little bit of apple in it too)
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1/4 cups ground golden flax (or ground flax seeds)
1 cup dates (if dates are not fresh, soak in water for a few hours)
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for 6-8 hours)
1/4-1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple syrup
- Combine oat flour, carrot pulp, hemp hearts, flax, nutmeg, cinnamon and sea salt in a bowl. Mix well until well combined.
- Add dates to a food processor or blender and process until paste-like.
- Add dates to mixture. Using your hands, mix well until paste-like consistency.
- For the cashew cream, strain soaking dates and add to a blender. Add in water, vanilla and maple syrup. Blend until smooth. This will take a few minutes. You may need to add more water depending on the quality of your blender.
- Assemble cake by pressing carrot cake mixture into muffin tins or into jars.
- Top with cashew cream and enjoy!