We're reunited for the week and are so excited to combine our ideas and make loads of new recipes! This morning, we made-up this delicious recipe on a whim... it's a perfect healthy twist on french toast!
Start by dicing one small gala apple. You should have approximately three quarter cups of diced pieces. Toss apples with one teaspoon of ground cinnamon and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together one large egg, one third cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, two tablespoons of pure maple syrup and half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
Tare two slices of light rye bread into small pieces. Add the pieces to the egg mixture and let soak for approximately 5 minutes, or until all the liquid has been soaked up.
Next, spray a small baking dish with cooking spray. Layer your bake as followed: half the bread mixture at the bottom of the dish...
diced apples (conserve a few for the topping)...
remaining half of the bread mixture, conserved apple slices and 10g of chopped mixed raw nuts.
Bake at 350oF for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve!
Cinnamon Apple French Toast Bake
Makes 1 serving
3/4 cup gala apples, diced
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 slices light rye bred
10 g raw mixed nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, milk, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Tare bred into small pieces and add to egg mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes until all the liquid has soaked in the bread.
- In a separate bowl, toss together diced apples and 1 tsp of cinnamon until they are evenly coated.
- Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the dish by stacking half the bread mixture, apples (conserving a few for the topping) and remaining bread mixture.
- Top with conserved diced apples and chopped nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 1 serving. Serving is approximately 430 calories.